Here is the situation: on the day after Blizzard announced WotLK was available for purchase I swung by my GameStop and pre-ordered a copy.
Later they announced there would be a Collector's Edition. Not a problem at all I'm thinking, I'll just get the C.E. too and let one of my local friends buy the normal edition from me at the face value of the receipt. We can do the midnight launch together, it will be a fun time.
Of course the pre-sales for the collector's edition were sold out by the time I got around to trying to order one.
Now a few days after the launch I was able to get my hands on the C.E. version of Wrath via Amazon, and it just arrived on my doorstep.
This brings up the question: is it possible to upgrade my account from WotLK to WotLK C.E. ?
Happily the answer is yes!
I also discovered that not only can I upgrade to WotLK CE, I can add the key code from my Burning Crusade CE to my account as well. This will unlock the non combat pets that are unique to each Collector's Edition.
Here is how you do it.
- Log into your Blizzard Account on the World of Warcraft website.
- Go to the Account Management page
- Click on the Upgrade Account link under the Promotions menu
- Type the CD key code into the window provided.
- If you have any old Collector's Editions you can type those CD key codes into the window to activate them as well.
Its that easy!