Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Hero Arrives

Its Here!!

It finally arrived!

My Figure Print statue of Viktel was sitting on my front doorstep.

I received notification that I had won the lottery for a Figure Print of my favorite character on August 15th, and the statue actually arrived on my doorstep on October 1st.

I pulled out the camera so y'all can see it coming out of its box as I unpack it.

What is a Figure Print?
The folks at Figure Prints are creating fully detailed 3D replicas of your favorite World of Warcraft character. Here is a quote from their website:
Using 3D modeling techniques pioneered by special effects houses and manufacturing technology that allows even the most complicated of these models to be created, FigurePrints can bring your fully outfitted, one-of-a-kind World of Warcraft® character to your doorstep.
Once you are on their website you can select your character name and realm and they look you up on the Warcraft Armory. They then take a snapshot of your character which includes all your equipped weapons and armor.

Click Here to view their FAQ page.

Getting a FigurePrint credit.
This is where the catch is. Because it takes two to three months to create these statues, and given the high demand for them the company can only take in as many orders each month as they feel they can produce.

So to get the opportunity to purchase a Print, you enter your account number into a random drawing that happens once a month. If your number is picked you get a credit for one statue If your account dosen't get selected then you will automatically get entered into next month's drawing.



Creating your Statue
The coolest part of this whole process is knowing that you are taking an active part in the creation of your statue. This isn't a generic statue of any ole' WoW character. This is YOUR character being recreated as a scale model. You get to pick and choose from the armor and weapons that you have earned in your adventures in Azeroth.

To do this you log into WoW, equip your character with the weapons and armor that is your favorite, log off and then refresh the image on the Figure Prints account page. On your account page you will then get to select which weapons to have equiped, and which you would like sheathed.

My Figure Print
For Vik I selected the following armor: Ebon Netherscale Breastplate, Scaled Grieves of Patience, Boots of the Crimson Hawk, Handguards of the Steady, Veteran's Chain Girdle, and my old Vetran's Chain Bracers.


I topped it off with my Cloak of the Craft, a sharp looking black cloak with gold trim, and my Tabard of the Shattered Sun. Simply the most kick @ss looking tabard in the game.

I selected these items mainly because the graphics are a nice matched set, one that should make the jump from the screen to the 3D image well.


My Weapon
I selected my Hellforged Halberd as my melee weapon because it looks pretty elegant and simple, and goes well on the Night Elf Model. Not being a heavy raider I never had much of a shot at the epics that dropped in Kharazan or the higher dungeons..

The Bow
For my ranged weapon I had to go with my all time favorite bow, Lohn'goron, Bow of the Torn-heart. I got this bow when I returned Vik to Echo Isles from the Aerie Peak realm. It is the reward from the long quest chain The Cipher of Damnation, which is also the old attunement quest chain for Tempest Keep.

The skin for the bow is a great graphic, and the colors are wonderful. The neat thing is that while the graphic skin for the bow is common now that we are coming to the end of the Burning Crusade, this particular version is rarely seen anymore now that there is no attunement neccecary to enter Tempest Keep: The Eye.

That makes the graphic fairly unique in the game, and I get lots of compliments on it given the that and the stat bonuses.

It also has some strong sentimental value since a good buddy and former guildie helped me in the final steps of the quest. It was the last time we have played together to date and that was several months ago.


The Pose
Once you have selected your armor and weapons the next and final step is to select the pose your character will be in.

I took a look at the poses created for Hunters and their weapons, but I really didn't care for them. In pretty much all of them you couldn't see the character's face because it was blocked by the shoulder armor.

I setteled on a stealth walk on a marbled floor with my bow equipped, and the melee weapon on Vik's back. This put the bow out front as the focus of the statue and with Viktel striding forward like he is moving through a forest stalking an enemy.

I think it gave a dynamic touch to the statue.

Once Your Order is Placed.
Right!!! So you have chosen your character, equipped him in your fav gear and weapons, and clicked on the "Make me one" button. Now what?

Well, you get these updates in your email that just tease the bejeesus out you thats what.

They look like this:

Aug 15, 2008

Your order has been placed and your hero is now beginning his/her journey to reality!

Sep 19, 2008

FigurePrints' next-gen reality-creation technology is forging your hero and all his/her epic gear at this moment!

Sep 29, 2008

Reality is at hand! Your hero is on his/her way to your side! Track his/her journey across the country to your side online at FedEx.



The Final Verdict
When I first tossed my name into the hat the cost of a statue was $100.00. The price has since gone up and all told I paid $150.00 including tax and shipping.

At the time I saw the increase in price I kind of blanched a little, but now that I see what a wonderful job these guys do I think it is totally worth the price.

I now have a physical rendition of my Hero wearing the gear he had at the height of The Burning Crusade expansion.

To put it simply....

It Rocks!!! I have entered back into the drawings, and honestly I hope I can get a statue of my druid Finegas as well.

No comments: