Thursday, June 12, 2008

iMac G5 overheating issues & how I fixed mine.

The short of the story:
The fan speed on my iMac G5 Intel was set to a very low speed.
No air flow through the machine = massive graphics problems & computer lock ups due to heat accumulation.

This is how my WoW gaming has looked for the past couple of months:


The solution:
I reset my System Management Unit (SMU). This reset the fans to the correct settings.
After I did this the fans started to run so fast that my iMac taxied to the end of the coffee table, took off and flew around the living room 3x, performed a perfect 3 point landing, kissed me on the cheek and said; "Thank you I can breath now."

How to reset your SMU:
  1. Write these steps down
  2. Shut down your iMac via the apple drop down menu
  3. Unplug all the cables going into your iMac, including the power cable that lands int he back of the computer.
  4. Count to 20 slowly
  5. Depress the power button on the iMac and at the same time plug the power cable back in.
  6. Reconnect your keyboard and other accessories
  7. Restart your computer.

No comments: