Sunday, May 31, 2009

Aids LifeCycle is on!

Or: Defeating the Lich King's Plague IRL

Hey Everyone!

Summer is upon us again and my good friend Kelly and her wife Midori are out on the road helping with Aids LifeCycle.

What it is
Aids LifeCycle is a 7 day, 545 mile bicycle ride from San Francisco to Las Angeles geared toward making a direct difference in the lives of people living with HIV and Aids. It is an annual event that takes place in late May or Early June.

Midori and Kelly do their part by riding in one of the vans that finds and helps riders that have gotten lost, are too tired to continue, or broken down. In short they are doing what they always do: lending a hand to someone in need.

Each year when the ride starts I ask my friends, regardless of where I met them or if they even know who Midori is, to donate the cost of a cup of coffee to Midori's Account on LifeCycle.

Are you a Midori fan and would like to buy her a cup of coffee?

Have you been with me to Northrend to fight Arthas and his minions, and want to spend a moment raising a pint in the Lion's Pride Inn?

Or are you one of my recently found IRL friends on facebook and want to catch up over a Mocha Grande?

How about donating that $5.00 towards supporting Midori and Kelly in their fight to end Aids?
Midori set a goal of raising $6,000 for Aids LifeCycle and I would like to help blow the lid off that goal.


Donating
You can donate by visiting Midori's LifeCycle page here

If you know Midori be sure to say hello, and if you don't just tell her Mateo sent you and she will know you are an anonymous friend that cares.

If you would like to know more about where your donation goes click on the LifeCycle banner and you will be taken to the LifeCycle main page.

Supporting Them This Week
If you are interested in following Midori throughout the week she actually posts a report each evening on her LiveJournal page.

This is not for the feint of heart as you will hear her go from happy and energetic to torn, ragged, and absolutely floored by the bravery and grit that the riders show throughout this weeks ride.

Seriously, you will be crying with her as you listen to these voice posts.

Another thing that you can do is send Kelly and Midori real life messages of encouragement. There is a bulletin board at each stop of the ride where messages from loved ones and friends are posted each night. To quote Midori:
I can't do this without your moral and financial help. Each day I'm on the ride I go and look for the messages you guys send me. It keeps my energy up. Every bit of donation to this delights me. All the help you guys give, in stepping up to help with and attend our fundraising parties make me tear up and then grin like an idiot.
You can leave messages for Kelly and Midori through Midori's personal page on Aids LifeCycle. They are a team so please mention them both in your posts. :)

Thank you gang; I know I can count on your help.
Peace

No comments: